Oct. 8, 2021 - Oct. 10, 2021
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Come join us for three days of wilderness skills learning and adventure!
Reserve your spot now!
When is it?
Campers can begin arriving at 9am on Friday. Classes will start around 1pm Friday. The final course will last until around noon on Sunday. Can’t stay for the whole weekend? No problem, go and come as you please.
Where is it?
This years Wilderness Skills Camp will be at Blackthorn Basecamp, in Northern Riley county, Kansas.
What skills will I learn?
This intensive hands on course will cover …
- SHELTER BUILDING – Modern, primitive and emergency
- FIRE MAKING – Ferro rods, hand drill, bow drill, flint and steel
- WATER PURIFICATION – Multiple ways to make water safe
- FOOD & EDIBLE PLANTS – What to eat and what to avoid
- RESCUE – Survival techniques and kits
- SELF AID – Techniques, FAK’s and more
- SIGNALING – Emergencies and trail marking
- CAMP LORE/BUSHCRAFT
- TRACKING AND TRAPPING – Snares and traps
- How NOT to get lost! – Direction finding, map and compass
Guest instruction by Travis Henry from Survive Without
NEW this year!!
Raffle – We will be raffling off some custom and handmade items, and maybe a few other things. If you would like to donate something to the raffle to help support our event you are welcome to do so and we appreciate it!
Raffle items are generally things such as knives, fire kits, books, arrowheads, leather goods, furs and hides, primitive crafts and tools and anything else our talented and artistic group comes up with!
Trade Blanket – We will do a scheduled Trade Blanket open to everyone. This is your opportunity to throw out a blanket (or anything else) stack it with all your excess gear, crafts and other items and trade it away for other peoples excess stuff.
Trade Blanket items should be outdoor activity related. Bartering is encouraged although we’ve found many people will trade for cash.
What should I bring?
On site tent camping is encouraged and available. Porta potties are on site but there is no running water, electricity, gas etc. Most cel phone carriers have good coverage as well. There are numerous fire rings for campfire cooking. Parking is nearby. Food and drink is your responsibility.
Bring as much or as little gear and equipment as you would like. Friday will be mostly spent around base camp. Saturday will consist of learning along the trail and periodic hiking throughout the day. You will likely want to bring a ruck or bag to carry some gear, lunch, water etc. Sunday will be mostly around camp with just a short walk or two.
You will have opportunity to try your hand at improvised fishing techniques. If you want to fish it is recommended that you have a fishing license. Bug spray is also recommended . Otherwise bring what keeps you happy and comfortable for three days camping.
List of items to bring for training exercises: (All are optional)
- Folding saw or small axe
- Cordage…550 cord or bank line, preferably 50-100 feet
- Single wall metal water container “Blackthorn Bottle, Kleen Kanteen etc.”
- 5’x7′ survival tarp/at least one side reflective finish
- Lighter AND ferro rod
- Compass with adjustable bezel ring and flip up sight cover
We’d like to thank our sponsors for helping us keep cost low and donating some great prizes! Please check them out at the links below!
Badlands Tactical and Survival